The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster

The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster

Volumne Six

J. Brownbill

Edited by William Farrer

Hardback
$120.00

Victoria County History

Overview

Overview

The volume contains histories of the eleven ancient parishes in Leyland hundred (Leyland, Penwortham, Brindle, Croston, Hesketh-with-Becconsall, Tarleton, Rufford, Chorley, Hoole, Eccleston, Standish) and of two of the five ancient parishes in Blackburn hundred (Blackburn parish and Whalley). Some very considerable places in the volume never achieved the status of ancient parish: Darwen was part of Blackburn parish, and Whalley included Accrington, Burnley, Clitheroe, Colne, and Nelson. In the Middle Ages the area was relatively poor, with extensive royal forests used for deer and, later, cattle and sheep farming. From the late 18th century the woollen industry gave way to cotton spinning and weaving in hundreds of factories, and the coalfield was exploited. Despite the growth of industry the area retains much undeveloped countryside, gentry houses in the lush pasture land of the Ribble Valley, and many old farmhouses on the slopes of the Pennine moorlandsand Pendle Hill.

Details

January 1911
85 black and white, 48 line illustrations
718 pages
30.5x20.8 cm
Victoria County History
ISBN: 9780712910583
Format: Hardback
Victoria County History
BIC HBLL
BISAC HIS037030
Share on Facebook   Share on Twitter   Pin it   Share by Email

Also by Author


Also in Series