Boydell & Brewer Prospective Authors
Why publish with Boydell & Brewer?
Boydell & Brewer was formed in 1978, with the merging of two companies, The Boydell Press (founded by Richard Barber in 1969), and D.S. Brewer (founded by Professor Derek Brewer in 1972). Since then, our flagship list in medieval studies (covering all the humanities) has grown and flourished, and we are regarded as the ‘publisher of choice’ in this field; but we have developed notable lists in other areas, especially music, early modern and modern history. Specialist areas include Arthurian studies; the history of religion; military history; and local history. We have also forged links with learned societies and university centres, such as the Royal Historical Society, the Victoria County History and the Centre for Medieval Studies at the University of York. We publish some 150 different titles each year and have offices in the UK and in the US.
The firm has remained entirely independent, and its owners and staff remain dedicated to its original aims: to publish the best scholarship in our areas of interest, and to disseminate it to the widest possible audience via our sales and marketing operations worldwide. The points below provide a brief overview of what we can offer our authors; and of course, we will always be glad to answer any questions or queries.
All books on our academic list are submitted to experts in the field for a rigorous assessment and examination. Our standards are extremely high and only titles with a very positive recommendation from the reviewer are submitted to the firm’s editorial board for consideration.
We pride ourselves on the attention we devote to each title and author and on providing clear and supportive communication from the earliest contact onwards. In particular, we recognise the unique pressures of academic life, and work as closely as we can with all our authors to fit in with their schedules.
Our books are thoughtfully designed and carefully produced, with attention given to paper quality, binding, and the reproduction quality of interior photographs, musical examples, and other artwork. The Boydell & Brewer production staff work with professional designers to create attractive and marketable book covers, and with printers to ensure the books will be durable and long-lasting.
We have our own teams in both our UK and US divisions. We work via catalogues, direct mail, press releases, and sample mailings, as well as via websites, internet and electronic media, to bring each book to its appropriate audience and specialist interest group. We also exhibit books at appropriate conferences and trade fairs, and send them for review to relevant journals.
Boydell & Brewer Series
- Anglo-Saxon Studies
- Anglo-Saxon Texts
- Armour and Weapons
- Arthurian Archives
- Arthurian Literature
- Arthurian Studies
- Boydell Studies in Medieval Art and Architecture
- The Fifteenth Century
- Fourteenth Century England
- Garden and Landscape History
- Gender in the Middle Ages
- History of British Intelligence
- Irish Historical Monographs
- Journal of Medieval Military History
- Kathleen Major Series of Medieval Records
- Knowledge and Communication in the Enlightenment World
- Library of Medieval Women
- Medieval Chronicles
- Medieval Clothing and Textiles
- Music in Britian, 1600-1900
- Music in Britian, 1600-2000
- Music in Society & Culture
- New Medieval Literatures
- People, Markets, Goods: Economies and Societies in History
- Regions and Regionalism in History
- Studies in Celtic History
- Studies in Early Modern Cultural, Political and Social History
- Studies in the Eighteenth Century
- Studies in the History of Medieval Religion
- Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Music
- Studies in Medieval Romance
- Studies in Modern British Religious History
- Studies in Old Norse Literature
- Studies in Renaissance Literature
- Warfare in History
- The Worlds of the East India Company
- Writing History in the Middle Ages
Book Proposal Guidelines
This proposal form provides us with the information necessary to make an initial appraisal of your publication project. If we decide that it is a possibility for the list, we will contact you to request further material for peer review. If the complete manuscript is not available, at least two sample chapters and a detailed breakdown of the rest of the book will be required.
As a matter of policy, we do not consider proposals under review by other publishers. You can send this by post to Boydell and Brewer Ltd, PO Box 9, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 3DF, UK or via email below.
Proposals for Medieval Studies (History, Music, Art History, Literature, Archaeology), Early Modern Literature and Landscape History should be sent to:
Proposals for Early Modern History, Modern History and Post-Medieval Music should be sent to:
Editorial Director, Early Modern History, Modern History and Music
Proposals for Maritime History should be sent to:
Proposals for Eighteenth-Century Studies should be sent to: