THE HISTORY of the City of York, originally published in 1961, runs from Roman times to 1959. It is divided into two parts. The first half contains a series of six narrative chapters arranged chronologically, beginning with York before the Norman Conquest and ending with modern York. Among the authors of these chapters are A. G. Dickens and Edward Miller. The second half contains thirty-one shorter chapters on particular institutions and aspects of the city, including the antiquities of York, the minster and its precincts, the parish churches, chapels, schools, public services, medieval guilds and mills, the prisons, and the castles. The plan of the volume is designed at once to give the reader a comprehensive picture of the development of the city, with its fluctuating importance as an administrative, economic, and social centre, and to enable him to follow in detail themes which may not have been dominant throughout the city's history but have had none the less a continuing and substantial significance.