A History of Wiltshire

A History of Wiltshire

Volume IX

Edited by Elizabeth Crittall

Hardback
$120.00

Victoria County History

Overview

Overview

Volume IX contains histories of Swindon, Wootton Bassett, and nine rural parishes. Special attention has been given to the development of New Swindon after the coming of the G.W.R. works in 1845, and to the effects of that development upon the small and ancient market town of Old Swindon. Space is also devoted to Swindon's quarrying industry; which flourished for 200 years before the arrival of the G.W.R. works, and to the new industries which were attracted to the town at about the time the railway works began to decline in the 20th century. The rural parishes lie chiefly to the south and west of Swindon, and several have been influenced in recent years by the growth of their large industrial neighbour. Some are also shortly to be disrupted by the construction of the M4 motorway through their land. Much of that land lies in the rich dairy-farming region of the county, but in the south it climbs the chalk escarpment of the Marlborough Downs, where sheep were grazed in the Middle Ages. A study of Wootton Bassett has led to the suggestion that it was deliberately laid out as a small market town in the 13th century. The impact made upon Lyneham by the R.A.F. station there is considered in the history of that parish. Among the illustrations is one showing what the large and elegant house at Lydiard Tregoze looked like before rebuilding in the classical style in the 18th century. The volume contains a street plan and ten maps.

Details

January 1970
39 black and white, 12 line illustrations
264 pages
30.5x20.8 cm
Victoria County History
ISBN: 9780197227367
Format: Hardback
Victoria County History
BIC HBLL
BISAC HIS037030
Share on Facebook   Share on Twitter   Pin it   Share by Email

Also by Author


Also in Series