York East Riding II This volume contains the history of the 30 parishes that formed the wapentake of Dickering. The area lies largely upon the chalk hills of the Yorkshire Wolds, which here meet the sea in the impressive cliffs around Flamborough Head, but the wapentake also extended into the Vale of Pickering and the Plain of Holderness. There is thus a variety of landscape and agricultural history to describe. Much of the rolling wold land was occupied by open fields and sheep- walks until inclosure in the later 18th and earlier 19th centuries opened the way to improvement; on the lower ground much early inclosure took place, too. A dozen villages in the wapentake were depopulated in the Middle Ages. Most of the settlements are relatively small, but they include the one-time market town of Kilham and the seaside resorts of Bridlington and Filey. In the Middle Ages the 'old town' of Bridlington, with its priory and market-place, and the fishing village beside the harbour were quite separate, but with the growth of the resort of 'Bridlington Quay' from the late 18th century onwards they have been absorbed into a wide-spreading town. Bridlington has also had an interesting coastal and oversea trade and still supports a fishing fleet. The resort of 'New Filey' was established later, laid out near the old fishing village from c.1840 onwards, and its physical growth and commercial development have been more restrained than those of Bridlington. Fishing also forms part of the story of Flamborough. The wapentake contains a wide variety of ecclesiastical and domestic architecture, but there are two outstanding buildings: the great priory church at Bridlington, which survived the Dissolution with the loss of its chancel and tower, and the early-17th-century red-brick mansion of Burton Agnes Hall, replacing an old manor-house but retaining its 12th-century undercroft.