The Church Records of St Andrew Hubbard Eastcheap c1450 - c1570
St Andrew was a small and comparatively obscure parish situated in the south-east of the medieval city of London, but its churchwardens' accounts survive in a virtually unbroken series starting in 1454 and continuing into the 1620s. Such complete sets of churchwardens' accounts are rare and particularly so for the period before the Reformation. These accounts reveal much about the practices and priorities of ordinary Londoners and demonstrate how they responded to the often conflicting demands of royal government in the sixteenth century. In addition to the accounts, the editor has also provided the texts of nearly a hundred wills of men and women who lived and died in this smallparish during these years. There is a full index provided to both the accounts and the wills.