The Goethe Yearbook, first published in 1982, is a publication of the Goethe Society of North America and is dedicated to North American Goethe Scholarship. It aims above all to encourage and publish original English-language contributions to the understanding of Goethe and other authors of the Goethezeit, while also welcoming contributions from scholars around the world. Volume 14 features a special section on childhood in the Age of Goethe, co-edited with Anthony Krupp. In addition, readers will find two essays illuminating Goethe's Triumph der Empfindsamkeit, an inspired reading of Das Märchen against the background of Goethe's critique of Newtonian science, a careful analysis of the daemonic in the poem "Mächtiges Überraschen," and essays on Egmont and Wilhelm Meisters Wanderjahre.
Contributors: Kelly Barry, Paul Fleming, Edgar Landgraf, Liliane Weissberg, Angus Nicholls, Robin A. Clouser
Simon J. Richter is Professor of German at the University of Pennsylvania, and book review editor Martha B. Helfer is Professor of German at Rutgers University. Anthony Krupp is Assistant Professor of German at the University of Miami.
First Published: 19 Feb 2007
13 Digit ISBN: 9781571133373
Size: 9 x 6
Imprint: Camden House
Series: Goethe Yearbook
Subject: German Literature
BIC Class: DSB
Details updated on 20 Jun 2013
- 1 Natural Palingenesis: Childhood, Memory, and Self-Experience in Herder and Jean Paul
- 2 The Promises of Childhood: Autobiography in Goethe and Jean Paul
- 3 The Education of Humankind: Perfectability and Discipline in Kant's Über Pädagogik
- 4 Kästchenwahl
- 5 Sentimental Confusion: Art, Nature, and Aesthetic Autonomy in Goethe's Der Triumph der Empfindsamkeit
- 6 Seeing the Light: Goethe's Märchen as Science -- Newton's Science as Fairy Tale
- 7 The Ironic "Tick" in Goethe's Egmont: The Potentials and Limits of the Modern Heroic and Poetic Ideal
- 8 The Philosophical Concept of the Daemonic in Goethe's "Mächtiges Überraschen"
- 9 "Die pilgernde Törin": Genesis, Revaluation, and Mirroring in Goethe's Wanderjahre